Though it is technically possible to delete an account on Twitter, the company does make the process difficult, because users have to deactivate the account and then close it. However, do not be confused if you need to get rid of an unwanted Twitter account. In this article, we will walk you through the steps of how to delete a Twitter account.
How to Delete Twitter Account on a Computer in 9 Easy Steps
- Login to your account on Twitter’s official page by entering your username and password.
- Change your username and email address to new ones if you want to use your previous Twitter username and email address to create a new account sometime within the next 30 days. Make sure the new email address is one that you have access to.
- Go to your Account settings into the web browser or by clicking on the settings option.
- Scroll to the end of the page to find the words “Deactivate my account,” and click on this link.
- Read through all the warning information about what occurs when you deactivate your account.
- Click the words “Okay, fine, deactivate account.”
- Enter your password to confirm that you have the authority to deactivate the account.
- Verify your decision to deactivate the account.
- Wait 30 days without logging in to your Twitter account. After this period, Twitter will automatically begin to delete your information. Removing all associated information may take up to a week after the waiting period.
Please keep in mind that Twitter only lets you close accounts from a computer. Twitter also warns users that their account content may still be viewable for a few days after deactivation. If you encounter any issues, Twitter answers your questions on their deactivation troubleshooting page.