It’s true that Macs, in general, are better protected against viruses and malware. It’s one of the main reasons why people choose Mac over PC. However, Macs can get viruses. And it can be even more dangerous to get a virus on a Mac, since you’re probably not as vigilant as a PC user. But don’t worry, you can get rid of them. In the following sections, we’ll show you a few ways how get rid of a virus on a Mac.
How to Make Sure that Your Mac Doesn’t Get Infected
Preventions is better than cure, and that applies to computer viruses as well. While nobody can guarantee your Mac will never get infected, there are a few things you can do to make it harder to get a virus on a Mac.
Malicious software usually gets picked up while browsing or downloading stuff off the internet. Sometimes, you may be tricked into downloading something that is not what it pretends to be. Other times, hackers attach trojans or other PUPs to content that is otherwise safe. To avoid as many of these issues, you can do the following:
- Download software only from trusted sources, such as iTunes or official websites
- Never fill in personal information in forms unlesss you know exactly what they are for. On a similar note, never mention personal information, passwords or usernames online in public spaces, such as forums, comments sections or social media.
- Avoid clicking pop up ads or ads that sound too good to be true
- If it’s at all possible, disable Java and Acrobat Reader. Both Java and Acrobat Reader are known to have security flaws that might allow malicious content to leak into your computer.
- Keep your firewall enabled at all times.
How to Get Rid of a Virus on a Mac
Not all viruses are the same, and as such you’ll first need to know what type of virus has infected your computer before you can figure out how to get rid of a virus on a Mac. Unfortunately, the most aggressive viruses can only be removed if you contact Apple customer service. Since Mac viruses are not very common, there aren’t as many solutions as there are for PC viruses. However, if your problem is a less devastating virus, it can easily be removed with one of two extremely useful pieces of software – Malwarebytes or ClamXav.
However, if your problem is a less devastating virus, it can easily be removed with one of two extremely useful pieces of software – Malwarebytes or ClamXav.
How to Remove Malware from Mac Using Malwarebytes
Malwarebytes is a small piece of software which monitors your computer and makes sure that no malware, trojans, or other potentially unwanted programs (PUPs) get installed without your consent. It is also very effective at removing said PUPs from your Mac.
If you want to learn how to get rid of trojan virus on Mac, then this is the program to help you do it. If you just follow the steps below, you will be able to rid your Mac of all potentially unwanted programs.
- Download a free version of Malwarebytes for Mac by going to the official Malwarebytes website, www.malwarebytes.com
- Install the program by following the instructions on the screen. Make sure to select the Mac Malwarebytes version
- Click on the Scan button after installing the software
- Wait for Malwarebytes to finish scanning your computer for any PUPs
- Make sure that all the boxes are checked
- Click on Remove Selected Items after the scan is complete
Malwarebytes is a free anti-malware software. It’s perfect for round the clock protection, and quite easy to use. It doesn’t take up a lot of space or processor memory, so there’s really no reason why you shouldn’t at least give it a try. And it’s not just a way to get rid of a virus on Mac. It will also help you keep your Mac safe from malware in the future.
How to Get Rid of a Virus on a Mac Using ClamXav
If you are pretty sure that you’re dealing with something more dangerous and damaging than a trojan or a PUP, or if you want to make sure that you stay safe from any possible phishing attempts, then you can bring out the big guns. And there are few big guns better for this issue than ClamXav. Plus, it’s free, so in case you’re not satisfied, you’d only be losing a little bit of time.
Here’s how to go about installing and using this great virus cleaner for Mac, and ultimately how to get rid of a virus on a Mac using the program:
- Download the software by going to www.clamxav.com
- After the download is done, run the installer or wait for the window to pop up
- Drag the ClamXav icon to the Applications folder by using your mousepad
- Double click the icon after you’ve dragged it to the applications folder
- Click on the Install button when the alert box pops up
- Click Continue
- Click Continue again on the license window
- Click Agree to confirm the terms and conditions and to start the installation
- Click on Change Install Location to set your installation folder or click on Install to go with the default path
- Type your Mac password into the Password field
- Click OK
- Wait for the installation to finish
- Click Update Now to update the virus database
- Go to the View menu
- Click on the Customize Toolbar
- Drag the Delete File icon to the toolbar
- Click on your hard drive in the Source List on the left
- Click on the Start Scan button
- Wait for the scan to finish
- Click on Select All to select all the viruses and PUPs
- Click on the Delete File button to move all the problematic files to the trash
- Exit the program
- Now empty your trash
This is pretty much how to get rid of a virus on a Mac. As mentioned, if you run into a virus you cannot get rid of yourself, contact Apple customer service as soon as you become aware of it. You can find a detailed list of Apple customer service contact options at www.apple.com.
Do you know how to get rid of a virus on Mac using other methods? Please share them with us in the comments!