*This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
You can create iPhone ringtones using any song in your iTunes library, allowing you to customize the sounds on your phone and show your own personal taste. Never search or pay for a ringtone from an app or website again by creating your own ringtones using your favorite songs. The process is easy to follow with this handy step-by-step guide.
How to Create Ringtones for iPhone in 18 Easy Steps
The following instructions will walk you through how to create ringtones for iPhone using any song in your iTunes library:
- Access iTunes or your Mac or PC.
- Locate the song you want to use as a ringtone.
- Right click on the song and choose Get Info.
- Adjust the start field to the time you want your ringtone to start. For example, if you want to start at the beginning of the song, use the start time of 0:00.
- Change the end field to the time you want your ringtone to end. The ringtone cannot be longer than 30 seconds.
- Click OK once the times have been adjusted to the section of the song you want to use.
- Right click the song again and choose Create AAC Version.
- Locate the new AAC version of the song. It will have the same name as the original, but will show the new, shorter duration you selected.
- Right click this new version of the song and choose Show in Finder or Show in Windows Explorer.
- Navigate to the Finder window or Windows Explorer folder and click on the new .m4a version of the song.
- Rename the file extension to .m4r, which is the extension type used for ringtones.
- Navigate back to iTunes and right click the AAC version of the song.
- Choose Delete and then click Delete Song to confirm it.
- Return to the folder with the .m4r version of the song and move the file to iTunes.
- Sync your iPhone with iTunes.
- Navigate to Settings on your iPhone and choose Sounds.
- Select the Ringtone option.
- Locate your song and select it as your ringtone.
With these simple instructions, you can easily turn any song you want into a personalized ringtone for your iPhone. Show your style and personalize your iPhone ringtones using just your computer and your iTunes library. If you run into any issues using iTunes or your iPhone, check out Apple Support. Please feel free to share your comments and questions about iPhone ringtones below.