Planet Fitness has a high number of members thanks to its easy-to-join programs and other promotions. Unfortunately, the gym company has not made it just as easy for people to quit the gym. It can be quite a laborious process if your contract won’t expire anytime soon. Fortunately, our guide on how to cancel Planet Fitness membership is sure to help anyone in this situation.
We provide two comprehensive ways on canceling the contract. We will present the proper steps for canceling through a certified letter or in person while providing tips on how to avoid cancellation fees. Unfortunately, Planet Fitness doesn’t have an online procedure for this type of service.
How to Cancel Planet Fitness Membership in Person
If you prefer the direct and safer approach, then you should cancel the membership in person at your local gym. Follow the next steps regarding how to cancel Planet Fitness membership:
- Write a one-page request for cancellation.
- Mention why you should be exempt from early cancellation fees.
- Include all the relevant personal information: full name, membership ID number, address, email, date of birth, driver’s license number and the last four digits of the social security number.
- Go to Planet’s Fitness Services Department.
- Give a representative the proper documentation.
- Request a notice of cancellation in writing.
- Confirm that your payments have stopped.
We also recommend you check the following information before attempting to cancel your Planet Fitness membership.
- Read your contract: find out the exact terms and conditions in which you can cancel your membership. If you don’t know, also find out if you have either an annual or monthly contract. If it will expire in one or two months, and you don’t have a good reason for quitting the gym, then it may be better to let it expire to avoid any fees.
- Know when you are billed: to avoid paying an additional month besides any cancellation fees, it’s better to give the gym one week’s notice at least so they can process the request.
Waiving Cancellation Fees
Usually, when you want to cancel your membership earlier than when your contract expires, you have to pay a cancellation fee consisting in at least a one-month payment of your subscription. However, there are certain exceptions to this provision in the contract. There are two reasons for why they should waive the cancellation fees.
- In the case of an injury: you can ask your doctor for a note confirming that you aren’t able to go to the gym because of psychical injury or an affliction.
- In the case of moving: you can map out your new location and prove that no Planet Fitness gyms are within a 25 miles range of your new home. If there is a gym nearby, then the company will prefer to transfer memberships.
How to Cancel Planet Fitness Membership through a Certified Letter
If you’d rather avoid stepping into the gym again you can send the company a certified letter with your request. To learn how to cancel Planet Fitness membership through the mail follow these simple instructions:
- Buy the postage required for certified mail.
- Write a letter requesting the cancellation of your membership.
- Mention the reason for canceling.
- Emphasize your justification for waiving the cancellation fees.
- Include the relevant personal information: full name, membership ID number, address, email, date of birth, driver’s license number and the last four digits of the social security number.
- Request a notice of cancellation in writing or through a phone call.
- Send the certified letter to your Planet Fitness gym.
- Check your billing and see if the payments have stopped.
To gain a better insight into this matter, we suggest reading some testimonials and user comments regarding the controversial cancellation policy of Planet Fitness. Consumers Affairs includes a section where many users left their opinions, often complaining about the company’s policy regarding the cancellation process.
Using our simple guide, you learned how to cancel Planet Fitness membership. You can avoid any cancellation fees by providing proof of injury or moving to a new location. Just make sure to include it in your documentation and deliver it either as a certified letter or in person. You can also browse through the company’s FAQ section for further explanations on billing, cancellation, and costs.