Table of Contents
*This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
If you’ve decided to switch from an old iPhone to a new one, you’ll want to know how to download your music library to the new operating system. You already paid for all your favorite music and shouldn’t have to do it again. Our guide will explain how to redownload music on an iPhone, whether you have lost your library on a current iPhone, or you’ve recently switched to a new iPhone.
How to Redownload Music on an iPhone
You can find songs or whole albums you’ve purchased in the iTunes Store and put them on your phone by following these steps:
- Open your device.
- Log in to your account using your existing Apple ID
- Go to Settings, find the iTunes app, and click on “Apple ID” to log in to the account.
- Launch the iTunes Store App.
- Go to the bottom right side of the page and click on “More.”
- Click on the “Purchased” button and go to the “Music” tab.
- Toggle the switch for “Not on This iPhone” to activate it.
- Look at the list of songs or albums you have purchased.
- Find the items you want in the list.
- Click on the icon for downloading items to retrieve your songs.
Add Songs Using iCould Music or iTunes Match
If you are a subscriber of Apple Music or iTunes Match, it means you use the iCloud Music Library by default. You can find the song in your library and download it quickly. All you have to do is activate your library to find a list of items you’ve purchased. You can restore them individually as you wish.
Add Songs to Your Existing iPhone
It is possible that you’ve lost some or all of your music library even if you didn’t switch to a new iPhone. If this is the case, the procedure for retrieving songs is slightly different from the previous one.
- Activate your iPhone and find the iTunes app.
- Go into the iTunes Store part of the app and log in to your account if you need to do so.
- Select the Music category from the menu on the right side.
- Navigate to the “Quick Links” section and tap on the “Purchased” button.
- Turn on the “Not in My Library” toggle. This assumes that you are using your usual iPhone.
- Choose either “Albums” or “Songs” to display your music.
- Find the artist you want to download.
- Click on the albums or songs from that artist to start downloading the content.
If you’re still not seeing your music for some reason, there are a few tips you can try. You should confirm that you purchased the music from iTunes instead of getting it from another source. Check your Apple ID to make sure it is the correct one, and double-check it to make sure the country you use it for is also correct. You may have chosen to hide some purchases you made. Make sure you can see all your music purchases before you try to download the content.
For more support with your iCloud music library, check out the dedicated support page on the Apple website. To contact Apple support, take a look at the options available on the Official Apple Support page.
Do you know how to redownload music on an iPhone through some other method? Let us know in the comments!